Friday, August 27, 2010

Food is Love: Chicken Noodle Soup

When I say, "Food is love," this is what I'm talking about:

Yesterday, after we got home from the hospital (and the surgery went well; thanks for all the good thoughts!), Tom took a long nap. When he woke up, the one thing he wanted was chicken noodle soup.

Now, you'd think a good Jewish mother would have that on hand. You'd be right. Clearly, I am not a good Jewish mother.

No matter. Two seconds after Tom made his request, while I was wondering if I even had a can of Campbell's on hand, the doorbell rings. And there's our buddies Maureen and Sandy, carrying a box of goodies. Salad, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, cookies. And chicken noodle soup.*

Food is love. Especially when it's delivered by friends who know there are times when it's best to walk in, drop the food off, hug really tight, and leave.

I hope you have a healthy, happy weekend. I hope you have friends who know when to show up and when to leave. I hope you have hugs. And I'll see you back here Monday!

*I haven't tried the recipe, but it's from the Pioneer Woman so you know it's yummy. More chicken and noodles than soup, but still ... it looks good!

2 comments:

Mike Brown said...

Jan - Glad to hear Tom came through the surgery pretty well. Hope the pain meds continue kicking in.

Not only is food "love," but in this case, food and your friends represented the answer to a prayer. Chicken noodle soup doesn't just show up by accident two seconds after Tom asks for it! May want to point that out to Tom when the time's right : )

Hang in there!

Mike

Angela Pritchett said...

You are the best Jewish mother! You answered my prayers just a few days after your soup elf made your house call. Thanks for checking in with me and feeding us. It's times like these that you let your friends bring the love and hugs.