Monday, August 16, 2010

Creativity Tips: Be Bored

One reason kids are so creative is because no one has told them yet: You can't do that.

But I've decided there's another secret to kid creativity. Kids get bored. You know what I'm talking about. That end-of-the-summer "there's nothing to do and it's too hot to go out and this is the most boring house in the world" malaise.

And what do bored children do? They flop around, whine a little louder, and then come up with an idea. In other words, they get creative.

I do get bored in meetings now and then (OK, more now than then), but I can't remember the last time I had absolutely, positively nothing in the world to do. And I'm guessing you're in the same multi-tasking boat.

So here's the question: How can we get bored? How can we escape the To Do list this week, free up a few creative neurons and cause a little trouble?

I'm gonna go build a fort* out of sheets and pillows, crawl in and think about it.

*I was looking for an image of a fort made out of sheets to illustrate the blog. You know what I found? Instructions on how to make the fort. Seriously? We need freakin' instructions on how to make a fort out of sheets and blankets and pillows? Shoot. Me. Now.

No comments: