Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Creativity Tips: Branch Out

Reading is cool and libraries rock.*

This week, go to the library. Wander through a section you generally ignore. For example, if you love fiction, take a gander at the biography shelves. Check out a book by an author you haven't read before -- or in a genre you haven't read in a while. Stretching your brain stretches your creativity. Branch out!

(The image is from Studio Mela on Etsy. I really like her stuff.)

*Short sentences with active verbs also rock. Try it. You'll like it.

1 comment:

Mike Brown said...

Jan - Interesting to promote libraries this week, which happens to be national Read an E-Book week (http://www.ebookweek.com/). Not that I don't like libraries; much of my early career was spent going between the reference desk and the copy machine at the Johnson County Library.

Anyway, I only know about E-Book week because of my friend Alex Greenwood who has published an e-book called "Pilate's Cross" (http://www.pilatescross.com/).

Which brings me to the realization once again that we/I should finish "Creative Instigation" as an E-Book, Jan!

Mike