Friday, February 5, 2010

Food is Love: Nestle Tollhouse Cookies

We've lived in the same house for 23 years. Many of our neighbors have been here almost as long -- we've shared in each others simchas and sorrows, watched the kids grow up, we're pretty much family.

And when I bake these classic chocolate chip cookies, the family shows up at the door.

There are a couple of secrets to my version of the recipe:
  1. You have to use unsalted butter. Seriously. It makes a difference.
  2. Add a bit more vanilla. I just hold the measuring spoon over the batter and let it spill. This is probably not the recommended baking tactic, but it works.
  3. Take the cookies out before they're "done." If they look done, they're overdone. They continue to cook while you cool them. (Mary is better at this than I am. She recommends 8-9 minutes in the oven, but that will vary with your oven.)
By the by, if you need further proof that "Food is Love," the cookie jar photo is for my sister Eva. It's the same cookie jar our Mom has had since we were kids; it's in Mom's apartment now. I found the image on a site called "Collectibles by PJ." The Internet is amazing.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I could use one of those cookies right now! (They're good for breakfast, right?) The jar is great...how fun that your mom still has it!

Jan said...

Cookies and coffee. The breakfast of champions. :-)

Angela Pritchett said...

Regarding #2, why bother with a measuring spoon? Just pour an overflowing capful! The bonus is your fingers smell like vanilla the rest of the day.

Eva said...

I still love that cookie jar. Maybe I should try to bake some of these cookies but I know they won't be as good as Mary's!