Thursday, February 4, 2010

Creative Critic: (500) Days of Summer

This week's Oscar nominations overlooked one really great movie. (500) Days of Summer should have scored for screenwriting.

For those of you who don't know my movie-watching rules, it basically boils down to this: No violence. No hideous story line that will give me nightmares. Talking animals and/or George Clooney improve any movie. (OK, not really. But I do like animation*. And George.)

Given that, my husband humors me now and then and agrees to watch a "chick flick" with me. We both thought that's what (500) Days would be. It is so much more. It's a wonderful movie about love and life and work and possibilities. Amazing script and script structure -- worthy of Creative Critic praise. Terrific soundtrack. Rent it. Watch it. Enjoy!

*One of the scenes in (500) Days that made us both laugh out loud does have a moment of animation. Gotta love it.

No comments: