Monday, February 22, 2010

Creativity Tips: Question Authority

Back in the day, when I was handling media relations and PR for a university, I had this bumper sticker on my car. After a while, someone pointed out that I was the authority.

Which, of course, is why I liked the bumper sticker.

My training is in broadcast journalism, where you're taught to say everything with authority whether you know what you're talking about or not. My mentor -- who has been my role model for the past 24 years -- is an authentic force of nature. My self esteem is high, I'm not a youngster, and I don't tolerate fools.

Put it all together and you have a potentially dangerous situation: When I'm an idiot, people often assume they're the ones missing something. Trust me. You're not missing anything.

The contest I announced last week made no sense whatsoever. If I EVER do that again, I want all of you to post a comment telling me I'm babbling. Promise. Pinky swear. Hand over heart right now and repeat: "If Jan is an idiot, I will tell her."

Thank you. Oh, and congrats to Barb, who won the giveaway! (Barb: Call or email and I'll explain how you can collect!) And the lesson from the giveaway: You can't win if you don't enter. I may never know exactly why BlogHer selected me to be a conference speaker. I do know that they wouldn't have selected me if I hadn't applied. Put yourself out there. It's the only way ...

No comments: