Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Choose Something Like a Star

At first glance, "... there is a last even of last times," the Quick Quote for the week, may not appear quite as uplifting as last week's "Wherever you go, go with all your heart" from Confucius.

But there's a reason why it's the Quick Quote. That line is an excerpt from Cascando, a poem I read in college, and never forgot. It was in a collection a friend was ready to toss out -- his poetry class was over, so he had no need for the book. (Hmmm. Maybe this is one reason we're no longer in touch.)

Cascando inspired me. Still does. Another poem that continually inspires me is i carry your heart with me by e.e. cummings. Just once, I'd like to write a line as perfect as i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart).

Now, you may think Cascando is massively depressing. And you may not think cummings ever wrote a perfect line. That's perfectly fine. But here's the deal: To be creative, it helps to find your inspiration -- in poetry, in music, in art, in prayer, in love. Today, choose something like a star, and begin.

No comments: