Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Creativity Tip: Size Matters

I can't lose 20 pounds. I know, because I've tried to lose 20 pounds for 20 years.

So, last year, I decided to forget the 20, and just lose 1.5 pounds per month. And an amazing thing happened: I lost weight. Not every month, but most months. I'm thinner now than I've been in years.

I also know that I can't write a book. I don't have time. However, I do have time to write one entry a day for this blog. So here's my guess: At this time next year, I'll have a book on creativity ready to show an agent. A book cobbled together, page by page, on this blog.

1.5 pounds.
1 page.
Size matters.
And, although I never thought you'd hear me say this,
"Small is better."*

Keep that tip in mind as you start work on your 2008 projects (or resolutions). Instead of focusing on one huge final objective, create a small, attainable goal. When you reach it -- and you will -- set the next small, attainable goal. And when you reach that one, keep going.

On the way, let me know what amazing things you're accomplishing, one small step at a time!

*No, I do not mean for everything. It's a new year, but I'm the same old me.

1 comment:

Mike Brown said...

The current Kansas advertising line: "As big as you think."