Wednesday, March 9, 2016

#Creativity Tips: Lose the Fear

One of my favorite artists is Laura Bolter -- you can check out her beautiful work here. While I don't know many of the artists and writers and other creative folk I admire, I have the good fortune of calling Laura a friend. So when she posted this pic -- and comment -- on Facebook, I was all over it:


"This has always been a struggle for me. So in an effort to stop striving for constant perfection, I'm sharing this with filled in counters, blobs of dried paint and other imperfections." -- Laura Bolter

Laura, you're not alone. When it comes to creativity, fear is the big stumbling block. We're afraid of being wrong, of being misunderstood, of not being appreciated. We're afraid of hurting someone with truth in our writing. We're afraid we'll choose the wrong words, use the wrong colors.

The first step in losing the fear is acknowledging it. Only then can we deal with it. .

By the by, if Laura hadn't pointed out the imperfections, would you have noticed them?

2 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I found the Japanese concept of Wabi Sabi to be very freeing. Nothing is permanent. Nothing is perfect. Nothing is complete

Jan said...

I love that! Thank you!