Friday, June 14, 2013

Creativity Tips: Just Say It

One reason I opted for a degree in journalism rather than English lit is because understanding deep, hidden meanings is not my strong suit. If you say "The sky is blue," then I think you're saying the sky is blue. I don't automatically assume that you're really saying the world is happy and gay. As in cheerful.

In comparison, journalism seemed far more black and white. Stories were built on facts. (Hey, they were in my day.) And if you wanted to quibble about the sky, you better attribute the comments.

That said, imagine my surprise when a friend recently revealed that Evite answers aren't always what they appear to be. Yeppers. There's a hidden RSVP meaning that I've been missing. Apparently:
Yes means maybe.
Maybe means no.
No means no.

Okey dokey. I'm not going to fight it. I'm just going to curl up with my AP Stylebook and call it a week. Here's to a great weekend! Perhaps one where we say just what we mean ...


1 comment:

Bud Simpson said...

Such is the failing of e-anythings. They invite spontaneous, and not always well-thought-out replies and carry not the heft of paper and ink.

I have chosen to curl up with Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, though carrying it around at work all weekend will be a bit of a bother. Part of the constant search for new metaphors.