Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Creativity Tips: Even If It Is Broke

There's a great old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, I need a variation on that: Just because it is broke, don't mean it's my job to fix it!

Last week, a colleague shared a challenge with me. Then, a friend wanted to discuss a problem. Then, a client called with a personal dilemma. Each time, I went into Momma Fix-It mode. Each time, I was gently told:

"Jan, I'm not asking you to solve the problem."

For those of us given to fixing things, it's important to remember that part of creative problem solving is talking it out -- situations look different in the light of words. When you're open to listening, people are willing to share. Let them. Let them talk. Then, let them fix. They can do it. We don't need to.

And, yes. I plan to take my own advice. Argh ...



1 comment:

Hedy said...

Sometimes we don't need an answer to a question, we just need to be heard when we ask the question.