Thursday, December 11, 2008

Creativity Tips: Always Admire Alliteration

Want to be a better writer? Listen up.

No, not to me. Well, yes, listen to me. But, far more importantly, listen to the people around you. Here are two wonderful phrases I heard in the past week:
  1. Garlicky guacamole goodness -- from Rachael Ray. She's perky, but well-spoken.
  2. Lifelong lousy love life -- from a funny friend who shall remain anonymous.

And here's a quick creativity exercise: Using one of those two phrases, write for 120 seconds. You got it: 2 minutes. Don't tell me you don't have time. And don't self-censor. Just write!

3 comments:

Mike Brown said...

Jan - Interesting assumption on your part in using "but" - she's perky, but well-spoken. Do we in general suspect that perky people wouldn't be well-spoken?

Mike

Leslie said...

Perky used in this case is Jan's way of being nice! I might have chosen a different description...

Jan said...

I have now watched so much of the Food Network, I am perked-out and almost Paula'ed-out. Although, the Christmas cookie shows are definitely winners ...

BUT, Mike does raise an interesting point. Why, some might even say I'm perky AND well-spoken.

OK, not in recent history ... but ...