Monday, November 10, 2008

Creative Query: What Aren't You Reading?

I'm enjoying the book I started reading while waiting in line to vote, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I started this new book, despite the fact that I already have bookmarks in Wicked by Gregory Maguire and Love in the Time of Cholera, the classic by Gabriel García Márquez.

Problem is, I can't seem to get past the first few chapters in either of those books. I want to read them. I plan to read them. I can't read them.

Bringing us to my creative query for you today: What's the best book you haven't been able to read?

3 comments:

Angela Pritchett said...

Brideshead Revisited. Just couldn't get past the first 25 or so pages.

Anonymous said...

Lord of the Flies. It took quite a while to get into it but once in it was fantastic. A real classic. On the opposite side, a book that was incredibly easy to get into was A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Who can resist the opening line: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... But I must admit, once in, I fell into a mire and couldn't continue. I found the prose too tedious.

Jan said...

Lord of the Flies is amazing ... it is worth the struggle. It has some of the best turns of the English language that I've ever read. (And I wouldn't have made it through, if my daughter hadn't been assigned to read it, and wanted me to share the pain.)