Thursday, September 11, 2008

Creativity Tips: See the Box

So, you've been told to "think outside the box." Let's be serious: There are times you are limited by the box -- whether the box is money, time or people. There are also times when the box is a wonderful thing, giving you structure to guide your path.

This creativity card reminds us of a real recipe for creative success: See the box. Don't do what you've always done. But don't go creatively nutso for no reason. Analyze the situation strategically, then decide where to think.

(This reminds me of drawing outside the lines. I had a fit when my firstborn, Kate, started drawing inside the lines in her coloring books. I was sure her creativity was gone forever. My wonderful friend Nancy, an artist, stopped the insanity by reminding me that we have to know how to draw inside the lines, so we can choose to draw outside.)