Monday, April 7, 2008

Creativity Tips: Question Perception

My sister Eva turns 50 today. I still introduce her as my “baby” sister – and I still think of her as my “baby” sister. And if you think that’s silly, consider this:

Some 20 years ago, our mom asked Eva how much she charged per hour for babysitting. When Eva told her, Mom responded, “Oh, I charge more, but I’m an adult.”

Eva was probably 30 at the time, a college graduate, a wife, and a stepmother. And, if that weren’t enough, her fulltime job was managing an infant and toddler daycare center.

“Oh, I charge more, but I’m an adult.”

Today, do something creative and generous. Consider one important person in your life. Consider the longstanding, preconceived notions you have about that person – and weigh those notions against reality.

I’ve done it – and I’ve decided to really be generous, and cling to this particular prejudice. After all, if Eva’s still a baby, I’m still a youngster.

Happy Birthday, baby sister!

3 comments:

FunnyEyeCorpGuy said...

Forrester - I guess I'm just a little surprised that you didn't use this discussion of birthdays to begin soliciting gifts for your own big day on April 22. What a model of restraint you've become!

FunnyEye

Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan said...

Good grief. I didn't proofread my own comment, and there was a typo. Pathetic.

Anyway ... what I was saying ... APRIL 22! Mark it down now, people! My birthday ... cards, gifts, love letters, I accept them all!