Tuesday, January 2, 2018

#Creativity Tips: Focus. But first ...

Is it wrong to talk about focus in a blog post that deals with three completely different topics? Hmmm. Yes. Probably. And yet ...

Let's start with the non-focus topics. First, my friend Deb A. sent a lovely response to the "just say you're welcome when someone says thank you" rant. According to one of her buddies, in South Africa the typical response is my pleasure. Isn't that terrific? It even takes care of that guilt some people feel when they're on the receiving end of a favor. You know who you are.

Next, as of early last night, the blog post on New Year's resolutions had 4022 hits and the number keeps climbing. Not that I'm counting. (Google is counting. I'm kvelling.) That makes it the most immediately popular post in our 10-year history of the Creative Instigation blog. No greater gift for a writer than a reader, so this was a lovely way to wrap up 2017 and welcome 2018! It's also a reminder that you just never know when something wonderful will happen.

The most wonderful part of that is sending repeated readership update texts to Kate and Mary and Tyler, telling them to show me some respect. And, of course, having a valid reason to use the smiley face emoji with the cool sunglasses.

Now, for the focus part of this rambling post. Some of my creative buddies (I'm looking at you, Leslie Adams), choose a word for the year -- something to use as a guidepost. I haven't done it in the past, but this morning, a word came to me: Focus.

One of my challenges is that I have a million interests. Right now, for example, I have dozens of unfinished craft projects I could pick up, I just started relearning calligraphy, I'm in the middle of reading a book, I'm in the middle of writing a book, and I have a new recipe for cinnamon rolls almost ready to pop in the oven. We won't even mention the hidden object computer game I'm playing or the iPad solitaire addiction. We definitely won't mention the housework. Or the work work.

In other words, I'm scattered.

So, this year, I'm going to focus on focus! I may even pay attention to the people around me, rather than my phone. (Stop laughing. It's possible.)

If there's a topic you'd like me to focus on in the blog, just let me know! I always love to hear from you. Here's to a happy day!


P.S. I have not tasted these cinnamon rolls yet, so hang on ... I'll give a thumbs up or down in a later post.

No comments: