Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Creativity Exercise: Portraits without People


In keeping with the theme we have going this week, here's another idea from Hedy -- she found this fun site highlighting portraits without people.

Since art appreciation is personal, I'm going to admit that I'm not crazy about the portraits on that site. But, I love the idea, looked around and found this cool interview with Annie Leibovitz. Creativity leads to creativity.

In keeping with that, I decided to turn this into an exercise. What would a portrait of you look like without you in it? Here are two of my first attempts:

I collect old typewriters. Because I'm old. And I type.

This is a segment from one of my recent collage paintings.
Hmmm. I'm not sure I like either of them as self portraits. Too limiting. But, like life, this exercise is a work in progress. If you come up with a self-portrait you love, send it my way!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Interesting way to portray yourself. Most of my portraits don't have people, but they don't have much in the way of description of myself either. Worth playing with.