Thursday, November 15, 2012

Creativity Tips: Know When to Stop

When you exercise creative muscles, you get stronger. I exercise my writing muscles daily, so it generally doesn't take me more than 15 minutes to write a blog post. Sometimes, the posts only take a few minutes. (And don't think I'm talking about the super brief posts. They can take the longest time.)

Given that, when I agonize for hours over a blog post, it tells me something: It's time to stop.

I have a really important post -- or two, or three -- to write about my newfound love for exercise and yoga and how the lessons learned in the gym apply to a creative life. However, I'm not going to post these tips until I love them. And I don't love them yet.

Whatever your creative endeavor, when it's just not working, stop. And don't worry -- your creative juices will flow again. Trust me. I'm a professional.

No comments: