Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Creative Critic: In America

In keeping with my new loosey goosey (is that how you spell that? and who would know? and why do I care?) approach to blogging, today's post is a double review -- one book, and one movie. Here's my theory: Appreciating creativity, or pointing out the lack of it, in any medium can open up our eyes to new ideas in our creative fields -- whatever they might be.

Let's start with the movie. Tom and I just watched In America, recommended by my good friend Coop. It's wonderful. Beautifully written and acted. What's it about? Family. Love. Loss. Faith. Loss of faith. Desperados.

The book? I just read People of the Book by Pulitzer Prize winner Geraldine Brooks. Fascinating story, historical novel, based on the Sarajevo Haggadah.

Give yourself a treat. See the movie. Bring a hankie*. And read the book.

*Have you ever used a movie as a good excuse for a good cry?

No comments: