Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fabulous Phrases: The Secret Life of Bees

It can't possibly be Aug. 9. I swear, school just got out two minutes ago. Or so it seems to me ...

And the remarkable ability of time to fly is my excuse for giving you this Fabulous Phrase today rather than last week. Read and enjoy.

The first week of August was a consolation, a pure relief. The world will give you that once in a while, a brief time-out; the boxing bell rings and you go to your corner, where somebody dabs mercy on your beat-up life.

-- from The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

P.S. Here's insight into a writer's brain. I have this particular Fabulous Phrase on a sheet of paper posted in my office, because I love the picture of the world, the time-out, the concept of someone dabbing mercy on my life. However, I can't find my copy of the book, and don't remember where/when I copied this phrase. So I'm neurotically hoping that I have the attribution correct. And, yes, this is what my brain does daily. Writer frets. Not pretty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love this book and i loved the movie as well! lovely !