Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Creativity Tips: Embrace Enthusiasm

Enthusiasm is a wonderful thing. It's energy sparked with hope. Our response to enthusiasm makes a world of difference with the people on our creative team. For example ...

When I was a kid, my family drove to California on vacation. I had never seen the ocean before, so this was a very big deal to me. By the time we got to the beach, I was jumping-up-and-down excited. I had never seen anything so wonderful.

Being a kid, I wanted to run right into the waves, fully dressed. But, being a good kid, I didn't. I asked Mom for permission.

She could have responded to my enthusiasm by reminding me that I wasn't wearing a swimsuit, I'd ruin my clothes, and I needed to have a little patience. She could have said, "Sure, honey, go on in." She didn't do either of those. Instead, she took my hand and we ran into the waves together.

When someone approaches you with unbridled enthusiasm for an idea, a possibility, a half-baked thought, what's your response? Do you squash the energy with logic? Do you encourage them to take their concept to the next level? Or do you grab hold of their enthusiasm and run with it?

Today, let's run.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great story! Your mom sounds like a wonderful creative instigator.

Jan said...

She is!

Full Disclosure: I wasn't always this enthusiastic. On the family trip to the Grand Canyon, I got out of the car, dragged to the rim, looked over and said, "Big hole. Big deal. Let's go."

Seriously. But at least I understood the magic of three at an early age ...

Barb said...

I always love your posts, but this one is the BEST EVER. Thanks Jan and thanks Jan's mom!

Kate said...

I can relate to your Grand Canyon trip, Jan.

My parents took us to Disney World when I was 12. When we got to the park I said, "I wish we would have gone to Worlds o' Fun."

I'm still living that one down.

Chuck said...

What a touching example of enthusiasm your Mother displayed. Thanks for sharing.

Jan said...

Thank you all for the feedback! And, Kate, no wonder we get along ... :-)

Peggy said...

This sounds so much like your mother! And, yes, I suspect she has a lot to do with the woman you are today. You could do worse than turn into your mother. Think about THAT for a minute!