Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Creativity Tips: Magnify Your Strengths

I recently looked into a magnifying make-up mirror. It's not an activity I recommend for women over 50. Frankly, it was terrifying. But I did have an epiphany right before I scheduled the facelift. Some people are like that mirror -- they magnify faults. They see everything we do that's not perfect, but never notice all we do right.

These people are toxic. They may have personal issues they're dealing with; that's not my concern. You are my concern. And I want you to work, live and play with people who magnify your strengths.

They're out there. Find them. More importantly, be them. Do what you can to bring out the best in others. That's the very heart of creative instigation.

Sidenote: I spent a ridiculous amount of time writing this post, and not liking it. Then, I remembered my own creativity rule: I own the sentence. It doesn't own me. I came back, trashed what I had, and wrote this. Sometimes, you just have to be willing to throw things out and start over.

1 comment:

Angela Pritchett said...

Clap, clap, clap > sound of my enthusiastic applause! You already know you're my hero in so many ways but this post points so well to why. Let's hear it for less toxic relationships in your life!