Thursday, February 14, 2008

Creativity Tips: That's Some Valentine

A kid is lucky to have one great mother. I was doubly blessed. I have the world's best mom, Lillian Sokoloff. And, when Lynn Dougherty and I became best friends for life in fourth grade, Lynn's mom took me under her wing.

Her presence was a gift. Joyce Dougherty was one of the most creative women I ever knew. Whether she was painting, stitching or cooking, she was an artist.

She was also a cigarette-smoking, no-fools-tolerating spitfire, with rock-solid Southern manners. If that sounds like a contradiction, I'm guessing you've never been to North Carolina.

Today, I'm going to share one of Mrs. Dougherty's most creative lines -- one that you can use in any number of awkward instances:

That's some baby

What do you say when a proud new mama shows you the world's ugliest newborn? "That's some baby!" What do you say when a friend decorates a less-than-Martha-Stewart cake? "That's some cake!" And what do you say when your lover gives you a completely inappropriate Valentine? You got it.

Happy Valentine's Day. From me. And Mrs. Dougherty.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Very good advice. I believe Jerry, Elaine and George used that very line in the ugly baby episode! Lucky you to have such an inspired second Mom.

Anonymous said...

I'm not above a snarky shot across the proud parent's bow: "Gosh, he looks just like his daddy!"

Jan said...

Leslie, you are so right! I was lucky!!

And Bud, you and Mrs. D. would have been buds!