Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Creativity Tips: Show Up

Now and then, when I get good advice, I can follow it.

For example, in a commencement address she gave at Villanova years ago, author Anna Quinlan repeatedly used the line, "I show up. I listen. I try to laugh."

I liked the line when I first heard it, and I still like it.

This weekend, I had the chance to put it to use. We bought our teenagers Guitar Hero TM. It's an interesting game -- and when you watch the body language involved, clearly a creative outlet.

That said, there are things I'd rather do than watch my daughter rock out to Miss Murder. (One more reason I won't be named Mother of the Year. Add it to the list.)

However, having an audience was clearly important to her. So I showed up. I listened. And I didn't laugh.

Encouraging creativity requires building trust -- and to do that, you have to be there. Really be there.

Try it today. Show up for someone. Listen. Laugh, if appropriate. You never know: Show up often enough, and you could be a hero! (Or, at the very least, you could learn some interesting moves ...)

1 comment:

Bud Simpson said...

Woody Allen said:

"Eighty percent of success is showing up." Now, with electronic "reality" being so prevalent, it's truer than ever. I don't want to be on your contacts list, I want to see your face. As in most things, you just can't phone it in.