Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Creativity Exercise: A You By Any Other Name ...

As we continue our Valentine's theme this week, consider this classic from Shakespeare:

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

Olympic gold-medalist Picabo Street knows "what's in a name." Street's parents let her choose a name when she was three. (No, I am not making this up. I heard her speak recently, and this tidbit was in the official bio.) Picabo chose an Indian name ... it only sounds like peek-a-boo.

If you could do that -- name yourself -- what would you choose today? And what do you think you would have chosen when you were three? If you'd like to share, I'd love to know.

P.S. My sister and I played this re-name game when we were kids. She chose Rose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, you'd ask a guy named "Orville" if he'd rather be called something else? There were times in junior high when I would have gladly been known as "Alice the Goon" if it got me away from the Orville handle. When I was three, I didn't know my name was Orville - my only life concern was that I might be invisible. Further research supports that hypothesis.

Anonymous said...

"Alice the Goon" does have a nice ring to it ...

Or ... "Alice the Invisible Goon." Now, there's a short story waiting to happen!