Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Creativity Tips: Learn from Your Mistakes

Back in June, I told you the sad but true story of my research call from Victoria's Secret.

They called again last week. Guess what? I haven't gotten any younger. And my opinions are still of absolutely no interest to Victoria, although she will take my money. And my daughters' money. Which, (gasp!) is my money.

So, here's the secret: There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a mistake. Once. That's how we learn. Making the same mistake twice? That's something else.

When you make a mistake, in a creative project or anything else, don't beat yourself up for it. Tell yourself to stop the negative thoughts. Literally. Stop. Then, quickly analyze what went wrong and why. And make yourself proud -- do better next time.

P.S. It's a Van Gogh painting. An Old Woman of Aries. He apparently saw some value in old women.

No comments: