Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Creative Query: What Will You Read In Line?

I'm hoping for long lines at the polls today ... I've gone to vote far too many times when there were no lines at all.

We have some wonderful CI team members who aren't American citizens. And, we have some who aren't old enough to vote. For the rest of us, today's the chance to be part of national Creative Instigation. Get out there, and instigate change!

Before you go, cast a vote here for what you'll take to read in those long lines. I'm waffling between a new novel (well, it's new for me: I just bought John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany) or a copy of Vanity Fair, with those lovely long articles that I never quite get around to reading ...

6 comments:

Leslie said...

I just got back from voting (yay!) and I took the Ken Follet book, World Without End. It's just over 1,000 pages of reading, but luckily I was only in line about 30 minutes!

Angela Pritchett said...

I advance voted Thursday night and waited in line for an hour. Didn't take anything to read so I passed the time talking to the people in line and making funny faces at the baby with her mama standing right in front of me. We talked quite a bit about how much Metcalf South has changed. I didn't know there used to be a small grocery store there! But I did just finish a book I highly recommend called The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson.

Jan said...

I ended up taking A Prayer for Owen Meany ... only waited in line long enough to make it through the first chapter! (But I like it so far.) I've heard World Without End is good ... but The Tenth Gift is new to me. What's it about?
(And you've both given me an idea for a post ...)

Vicki said...

Cory is dropping off our mail-in ballots today. We filled them out here at the hospital where I'm rooming in with new baby Lauren. :)

Angela Pritchett said...

Tenth Gift is two story plots, one from the 17th century and the other is in the present, about pirate raid on an English church taking the captives to Morocco and the modern-day woman researching the family legend that one of her ancestors was among the captives. Much of it is in the form of diary entries, which I love.

Jan said...

New baby Lauren is gorgeous! And the simple mention of her name gives me an idea for another post.

People ask me where I get ideas, and I always shrug. (Now, there's a creative response.) Ideas are everywhere ...

As a matter of creative fact, I can see three post ideas from these comments.

The Tenth Gift sounds interesting -- I love watching good authors weave different story lines together.