When I first considered doing giveaways, I wanted to make sure they fit with the blog ... and Shapeways Color it! sounded like a natural. Very creative. You color their outline of a sheep or a dog; they turn your art into a 3-dimensional statue. How cool is that!
Well ... yeah. It's a really cool idea. BUT ...
1. The pattern is so small it would frustrate little kids.
2. I needed help to upload my daughter Kate's drawing.
3. It's too expensive.
On the other hand:
1. Kate, my 20-year-old artist, really enjoyed coloring the sheep and waiting for her statue to arrive.
2. Shapeways did a great job of sending email updates re: progress on the statue, which helped build excitement.
3. It was a hoot to get it, and we like it -- even though the 3D version didn't turn out exactly like we expected. For example, the colors are off. And Kate's smiley face didn't work -- the smile, when stretched for the statue, ended up on the bottom side of the nose.
To sum it up: I wouldn't pay $50 for Wooly or Wiggle the Dog or their friends. BUT, it was a ton of fun for free. And that's what we're offering you! Leave a post or send an email and you're registered to win a Wooly or a Wiggle. Fun for you or a very different holiday gift.
I'll take posts and emails (email@example.com) until midnight Sunday, Oct. 17. The Wooly/Wiggle Winner will be announced Tuesday, Oct. 19.
Thanks to Kate for being my artist! And thanks to Shapeways for today's giveaway and for giving me Wooly for free to review. Full Disclosure: I get to keep Wooly at the end of my review period. Well, Kate gets to keep Wooly. After all, it's her work of art!