Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy New Year

Jews around the world celebrate Rosh Hashanah today -- the Jewish New Year.

Now, I'm a Jewish mother, not a Jewish theologian. But here's my basic take on it: If you compare the Jewish New Year to the secular celebration, Rosh Hashanah is more about making peace and less about making resolutions.

It's a time to make amends with people you've wronged. A time to forgive people who've wronged you. It's a time to start fresh -- which is different than starting over.

If I have hurt you this past year, knowingly or unknowingly, please forgive me. (If I hurt you knowingly, I've probably already spoken to you directly. I'm making the rounds.) If you have hurt me, knowingly or unknowingly, I forgive you.

Here's to a happy, healthy year. A sweet year. A year filled with love and learning, friends and family. Here's to hope and dreams and faith. Here's to creativity that brings you joy. And here's to the work that makes it real.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Angela Pritchett said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for linking to the Obama greeting. You haven't wronged me ever but you've certainly helped me when I was in need. And you're on many pages of my Book of Life! We'll toast to our new years with coffee tomorrow morn. Love ya -
Ang

Vicki said...

I love this post. And I love that this New Year came so close to my birthday this year. :)