Friday, September 17, 2010

Food is Love: Corn Casserole

My buddy Scott does the most wonderful thing: He listens. When I talk to him, he listens. He's interested, he pays attention, he asks questions, he remembers what concerns me and inquires about it later. He listens. Isn't that amazing? Such a lost art.

Scott also cooks and bakes -- he's multi-talented. And today's "Food is Love" recipe is one he requested. It's basically from The Pampered Chef's Recipes from the Heart Cookbook. The cookbook calls this "escalloped corn." I call it "the corn casserole thingy with green chilies." You'll call it delicious.

1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter*, melted
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 package (8 1/2 ounces) cornbread mix (I use Jiffy corn muffin mix. Mmm.)
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained

Preheat oven to 350. In large bowl, combine butter, creamed corn and whole kernel corn; stir in sour cream and eggs. Add cornbread mix; blend well. Stir in chilies. Pour batter into greased 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Bake 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Eat like a little piggy because that's how good it is!

*Yeah, yeah, if you have to use something else, go ahead. I'm just sayin' ... unsalted is best. And please don't tell me if you use margarine. I want us to remain friends.

5 comments:

Average Jane said...

Ooh, that's one of my favorite potluck dishes! I may have to make it for my sister's birthday party this weekend.

Anonymous said...

This was my Mama's signature recipe (minus the chilies)! thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

What, did you say something, Jan? :) Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

What is this "I'm just sayin business. That means u don't take responsibility for it ????

Jan said...

That's right ... if you don't use unsalted butter, I take no responsibility for the results. :-)