Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Creativity Tips: The BlogHer T-Shirt, Part 2

So, picture this: I'm at ACME to get this customized T-shirt for BlogHer. I'm finally done with the design and now I need to select the actual shirt. I'm looking at 8 million nicely rolled tees in various sizes, and the young man who's helping me points to the "medium" row.

"I don't think that's the right size," I say.

"Yeah," he says. "You're probably right. The 'small' shirts are over here."

Now, those of you who know and love me won't be surprised to hear that "small" was not what I was thinking. I was looking for "large." Maybe "XL."

I'm 5 feet tall. I wear a size 8. And I still really and truly believe I need an XL shirt.

Perception is a wonderful thing, my friends, and our self-perception is often totally screwed up. It's a good reminder every now and then: Just because you believe something to be true, doesn't make it true.

And, here's bonus babble from a short person's perspective. Why do they put the smallest shirts on the top shelf and the biggest shirts on the bottom? Doesn't it stand to reason that the biggest people might be taller than the smallest people? I'm just sayin' ...

4 comments:

veredlh said...

I think houses should come in "S" "M" and "L" or coded according to height. Maybe cars, too. One day I'm going to have a kitchen with built-in step stools to flip down and reach top shelves in the cupboards.

Jan said...

That is a brilliant, creative idea. Ohmigosh. I would love to be able to reach the top shelves that easily.

Lezlie said...

I reach the top shelves for my husband. :-)

Anonymous said...

Your t-shirt is just perfect!!!! I'm so excited for you!