Friday, March 19, 2010

Food is Love: Banana Bread

I've managed to mention "vinegar" in two posts this week, so we'll go for three: If you don't have sour milk for this recipe, just pour a little vinegar into milk. You want to keep the total amount (milk and vinegar) around 2 tablespoons. And we're talking a little vinegar -- it doesn't take much.

Now, for the recipe. Don't you know any recipe from a cookbook that looks like this is good? Well loved. I got this cookbook from my grandmother. (Wow. I am having flashbacks this week.)

Anyway, everyone loves this banana bread. LOVES IT. I have put chocolate chips on top, but everyone in my house prefers it straight. And my sister is allergic to nuts, so I don't use them. Whether she's eating it or not. (Yes. I realize that makes no sense. Consider it the beauty of creative cooking. It doesn't have to make sense to you. It makes sense to me.)

Banana (Nut or Not) Bread

1 cup chopped nuts (If you want them.)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter (Always unsalted. ALWAYS.)
2 cups flour
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sour milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 mashed bananas (The best baking bananas are soft and mushy and the banana peels are dark. Fresh bananas aren't great for baking.)
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Cream butter and sugar.
  3. Add eggs, bananas and nuts.
  4. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. (I just dump it all together, no alternating. But I'm giving you the recipe from the book.)
  5. Bake in loaf pan for one hour. (You don't need to grease the pan. And it generally takes my loafs longer than an hour. At least 10 minutes longer. At least. Stick a toothpick in the center to see when it's done. Gooey isn't done.)
  6. Ess! Ess tov! (Eat! Enjoy! And I'll see you back here Monday!)

2 comments:

Burcu said...

Hi Jan!!!
How is it going?

About Vinegar... Do you know what i've been doing since a few weeks? Everymorning before having breakfast i drink a glass of warm water mixed with 1 tea spoon of apple vinegar and 1 tea spoon of honey. Ok it doesn't smell so brilliant maybe but believe me it keeps you away from eating and you don't feel hungry at all.
The bad thing is my husband is complaining about the smell at the table :))

Hugs

Angela Pritchett said...

There is no greater food-is-love than a family recipe. Thanks for passing it down.