Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Creativity Tips: The Jew and the Easter Ham

Once upon a time, there was a family that always had a big ham dinner for Easter. Sally, one of the daughters, liked to watch as her mother prepared the meal. She noticed that, every year, her mom cut a large slice off both ends of the ham before putting it in a big pan to cook.

"Why do you do that, Momma?" Sally asked.

Her mom looked up, surprised. And then turned to her mother, who was preparing the side dishes.

"Mom, I cut the ends off because you always cut the ends off," she said. "Why did you do that?"

"Because," her mother said, as she continued snapping beans, "Dad always bought a ham that was too big for my pan."

This Jewish momma is having the Easter ham moment. For years, I've scheduled the CI blog to post at 4:22 a.m. Why? Because years and years ago, it amused me to use my birthdate as the time. That was the only reason. There was no logic at all. (It did ensure that the post was waiting for email subscribers when they got up, but that wasn't a big deciding factor for me.)

So, yesterday, I posted at 8:22 a.m. It felt too late. This post is scheduled for 6:18 a.m. I may stick with that for a bit. We'll see what feels right.

Am I using any creative logic this time? You betcha. At 6:18 a.m., the post should be waiting for email subscribers in the morning -- while automatically posting to Twitter and Facebook at a time when humans are awake and might see it.

Yeah. The ham in me does like the idea of more readers.

What are you doing just because you've always done it that way? What change could make it better? Give it a try!

No comments: