- If you order a ride from a company named Carmel, do not get in a car from a company named International. Even if the driver repeatedly says, "Yes! Carmel! Yes!" The driver does not speak English.
- I am not the only good writer in the world. Seriously! Did you realize that? I sometimes forget.
- Some of those writers are trying to change the world. Big picture. Piss off dictators. Clean water. Cure diseases.
- I'm trying to change the world, small picture. I want to make your day better.
- You can always cram another tipsy blogger into a tiny Hilton Hotel elevator. Maybe two. There's three of you? Ohmilord.
- It's possible to walk down 36 floors and get to the lobby before the elevator arrives.
- There are many ways to measure success with a blog. Google Analytics is just one of them.
- Ree Drummond looks just like her photos on The Pioneer Woman. Mrs. Potato Head looks like Mrs. Potato Head. Bruce Jenner looks like a man living with the Kardashians. (FYI, I totally enjoyed having my photo taken with him.)
- People want to talk. They just don't want to initiate the conversation. And the vast majority of people want to talk about themselves. (Which is good news for those of us who don't.)
- Man can't live on bread alone. Women can do pretty good on New York cheesecake.
Seriously, my big BlogHer takeaway came during a two-minute conversation in the hall: It still pays to follow your passion. Catherine, the chef in the Jimmy Dean booth, stopped practicing law to start cooking.
Catherine sparkled. Even when she wasn't standing by the sun.
And that, my friends, is the recipe for creative happiness: Find your passion. And have the courage to follow it.