Friday, May 14, 2010

Food is Love: Extreme Eggplant

According to a story in the Kansas City Star this week, "In Turkey, the mark of a good cook is whether he or she knows how to make more than 40 eggplant dishes."

Isn't that fascinating? Creativity, talent ... it's all so relative. Heck, you can be the best cook in Kansas, and not know more than, oh, two eggplant dishes. But you better have at least 40 cookie recipes ready to go!

I have one eggplant recipe, and it's a riff on Eggplant Parmesan II from AllRecipes.com. Print that recipe then ...

For starts, I didn't know what to do with eggplant the first time I made the recipe. Peel it and cut it in thin slices. Then, salt the slices and let them stand, sideways, for about 40 minutes in a colander. Blot dry.

I didn't have Italian seasoned bread crumbs, so I used Caesar croutons, crushed and mixed with some flour. And, I didn't use the basil. The result? Very yum. It did take a long time, but I'm notoriously slow with prep work.

One eggplant recipe down. Another 40 or so to go!

No comments: