Thursday, May 20, 2010

Creative Inspiration: Dorothy Parker

One of the first poets I loved was Dorothy Parker. I even did a research paper on her in high school. While I have moved past my Rod McKuen period, I still love Dorothy Parker. I can quote her poems from memory ... including:

Indian Summer
In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!

-----
I liked that when I was 17. Sorta scary, in retrospect. If you haven't read any of her work, I strongly suggest it. Wonderful poems, great short stories. And her Constant Reader book reviews for the New Yorker are classics.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Patsy and I LOVE Dorothy Parker and had pretty much read all of her works by the time we each were out of juniorhigh/high school. "The Waltz" and "You Might as Well Live" are favorites and of course "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses" and "She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B". Thanks for the reminder!