Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Creativity Tips: The Rule of 3

I recently posted an entry about the magical, mysterious Rule of 3.

It wasn't my best work.

Here's the problem: I know the Rule of 3. I like the Rule of 3. I live the Rule of 3. It's so integral to my writing style, I have trouble explaining it. And, as a creative instigator, that bothers me. Big bunches.

So let's go back to my favorite parenting rule: Don't worry that they're not listening to everything you say. Worry that they're watching everything you do.

If you want to understand the Rule of 3, just watch. Read the blog regularly. Re-read the third paragraph of this post. You'll see how it's used, and you'll figure out -- for yourself -- how it works.

I guarantee it.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Here's a great example, pulled from a K-State news release on communications and presidential debates:
When Michael Dukakis and Lloyd Bentson debated George H.W. Bush and Dan Quayle in 1988, Quayle invoked the memory of John F. Kennedy. Bentson replied, "Senator, I worked with John Kennedy; I knew John Kennedy. Senator, you're no John Kennedy."

Rule of 3.