Thursday, January 4, 2018

#Creative Critic: New books and California Typewriter

According to Stephen King, "If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that."

I'm certainly not going to argue with Stephen King. I am going to find time to read more this year, and I'm off to a good start with this holiday gift collection:


I'm well into This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel and I love it -- I'll post a review when I'm done. I may tackle the Tom Hanks collection next.

Speaking of Tom Hanks, he's adorable. That is not a review. That's a fact. And if you haven't watched him and all the other typewriter fanatics in California Typewriter, you should. Really interesting documentary, with perspectives from Hanks, David McCullough, Sam Shepard, John Mayer and others. Many of their comments re: creativity, tactile feedback, the freedom of the instant, etc., made me sit up straighter and say, "Exactly! I know exactly what he means!"

Hmmmm. He. Were they all guys in this documentary? Now that I think of it, there was one quick female typewriter poet clip ... and then ... hmmm. Yeah. Heavy on the guys. Nevertheless, I think you'd enjoy the documentary.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my book.


No comments: