Monday, September 3, 2012

Creativity Tips: 5 Ways to Celebrate Labor Day

When I was 15, I got my first professional job. I wrapped silverware at Putsch's Cafeteria. Mom still says no one wraps silverware as good as I did*. Heck, she might be right. Regardless, after 42 years in the workforce, I appreciate a day off -- so here are five ways to celebrate today!
  1. Start with the obvious: Don't labor.
    Of course, obvious isn't always as obvious as you think. What do you really consider to be work? For example, the writing I do for clients is fun, but it is work. Writing poetry is not work. Make a list of your top five labor-intensive items and avoid them. My list? Writing for clients; handling agency projects, such as invoicing and insurance; cleaning house; doing laundry; paying bills.
  2. Read Working by Studs Terkel.
  3. Observe this symbolic end of summer with a triple-play.
    Eat an ice cream cone or a popsicle. Enjoy a beach read. Sit outside and chat, with a cold drink at your side.
  4. Think back on all the jobs you've had and all the experience gained.
    What was the most fun you ever had at work? What was the worst job ever? Who was your favorite co-worker? Just thinking is enough, but if you're in the mood, write a few paragraphs about any of those.
  5. Thank someone who is laboring today -- at a grocery store, restaurant, whatever.
    While you're at it, send good thoughts toward all the people laboring away at jobs you wouldn't want to handle -- from the trauma center nurse to the plumber to the president.
*Yes. This explains a lot about why I am the way I am. Being loved that much was a lovely way to grow up.

No comments: