Monday, September 28, 2009

Yom Kippur

I'm writing this a month before the day you read it -- I just finished proofreading the contemporary Yom Kippur service for my synagogue, and thought I'd share one of the readings with you. Give you a sense for what I'm doing on this Day of Atonement, the only day of the year when Jews participate in a confessional ...

For transgressions against God, the Day of Atonement atones; but for transgressions of one human being against another, the Day of Atonement does not atone until they have made peace with one another.

I hereby forgive all who have hurt me, all who have wronged me, whether deliberately or inadvertently, whether by word or by deed. May no one be punished on my account.

As I forgive and pardon those who have wronged me, may those whom I have harmed forgive and pardon me, whether I acted deliberately or inadvertently, whether by word or by deed.
---
No matter what or whether you believe, fresh starts and forgiveness are good. Happy New Year!

No comments: